Monday, July 1, 2013

Fourth of July - Courage of Our Convictions

A friend of mine recently relayed a story from her senior year of high school during the Vietnam War. Her English teacher was concerned that a group of students were apathetic to the political issues of the day. She asked the students, “what do you care enough about that you would go to jail for it? “

As the Fourth of July celebrations approach, we may want to remember “the reason for the season”. It was precisely that our forbearers believed in the possibilities of self determination (at the national level) and the rights of the individuals and states that they were willing to risk not just jail, but death for what they believed. I will grant that our forbearers may have embraced freedom but didn’t fully enact freedom, even with the Bill of Rights, since some humans weren’t considered fully human. But it was a step in the right direction and still is.

The question for July 4, 2013 is, as individuals, have we become complacent about what we are willing to stand for? I believe I have.

I was 5 years old when my father came back from the Vietnam conflict. Later, when I was in high school, I remember thinking that I was glad I was so young during the war, because I am not sure where I would have fallen on the ideological spectrum or the action spectrum. I am not sure I would have had the fortitude to demonstrate against the war had that been my beliefs. I am not sure I would have had the courage of my convictions. I wonder if I have the courage to stand up for what I believe, even now. Will standing up be an inconvenience?  Will it threaten my livelihood?  Will it threaten my freedom?

On second thought, maybe I do have the courage of my convictions. What I believe in and strive for are the freedoms that come to me not based on the country of birth, on my gender, race, marital status or other factors. The freedoms I aim for are based on the essence of who I am, not as a citizen of the United States, but as a Being holding Divine Truths as self evident: True Love, True Wisdom, True Power, True Gratitude, and True Grace, to name a few. These are the truths that I can hold and experience no matter where I live, no matter who I love and no matter with whom I communicate. To switch John Kennedy’s words, ask not what your country can do for you….instead ask what do you want to believe, feel and experience regardless of what your county can do for you.

I work for the day I feel True Freedom regardless of any protections which might or might not be afforded me based on my country. I strive for the day I feel True Security regardless of any collection of my data or cameras that know where and who I am. Little by little, I grow as a Being with an inner light that will be the beacon and the hope for others to know that they too can experience the peace and ease that comes from not feeling fear from anyone, anything or any government regardless of whether I avail myself of any of the principles in the Constitution. The day I can do this…is truly my Independence Day. How will you feel on your True Independence Day?

No comments: